John Proctor : Hero or Stooge?
I believe that John Proctor is just a stooge. Throughout the Crucible John Proctor has had the worse luck. Part of it is his fault because he committed adultery and did things against the religion of the Puritans. He knowingly committed adultery and was caught by his wife. The definition of a hero is a person who is regarded as a model and admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities. Sure he confessed when it came the point where he was cornered but he committed the act in the first place. At the end of it he seen as a liar and the butt of the joke, or a stooge, after his Goody Proctor and Abigail said that the lechery had never happened. He even said before they brought in his wife that she would never lie and she did and now he is seen as a fool. So no I do not see him as the hero of the of the story but the man who made the wrong decisions and he wasn't really thinking.

His actions after his wrongdoing do not redeem him? What he did is wrong, but isn't everything after right? I fear the idea that a person cannot change.
ReplyDeleteHis actions after his wrongdoing do not redeem him? What he did is wrong, but isn't everything after right? I fear the idea that a person cannot change.
ReplyDelete